I am not acquainted with any woman who truly does not care what she looks like. Even those of us who are relegated to sweat pants and scrunchies until noon wish that we had more time to take care of ourselves. All women want to look beautiful and attractive. It is important for us as Christian women to dress in a way that makes us feel good and also pleases God. Though it may sound archaic in today's "Anything Goes" society, modesty and femininity are still important principles for women to follow. Here are a few principles from the Bible about our appearance and what we should wear:
1. Strive to please the Lord with what you wear. I Corinthians 10:31 says, "Whatsoever you do, do all to the glory of God." You and your spouse are not the only people who care what you look like, God cares too.
2. Dress in taste and style that will bring honor to the Lord. As a Christian person, you represent Christ. II Corinthians 5:20 says that "...we are ambassadors for Christ."
3. Be pleasing to the Lord. I Thessalonians 2:4 says, "Not as pleasing men, but God."
4. Avoid clothing that focuses attention on self and dims the beauty of the Lord as seen through you. Galatians 2:20 says that Christ lives in you. Can people see past what you are wearing to the One Who is inside of you?
5. Clothing should be attractive, not shabby or drab. Proverbs 31:22 indicates that if you are a Christian woman, you are a daughter of the King. Don't spend a fortune on your wardrobe, but do make sure what you wear is clean and in good taste.
6. Don't lower your standards in dress to conform to the "style" of the moment. Fads come and go, but our appearance should not be based on what is popular in the world. Romans 12:2 says, "And be not conformed to this world, but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind..."
7. Flaunting clothing for pride or appearances sends the wrong message. When you meet someone, his or her focus should be on the person you are, not what you put on your person. Philippians 2:3 says, "Let nothing be done through strive or vain glory..."
8. Select clothing that is nice and appropriate for the occasion, "In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel..." I Timothy 2:9-10.
9. Dressing revealingly cheapens our testimony for God. "For we are bought with a price; therefore glorify God in your body..." I Corinthians 6:20.
10. Following the fashion whims occurring in the world consumes time, finances and energy, don't give in! I Corinthians 2:31 says, "...for the fashion of this world passeth away."
Many times we are so busy that we don't take time to consider what we are wearing. I know sometimes I tend to throw on whatever is on top in my drawer! However, by using these principles as a filter, we can be sure that what we wear speaks well of us and of our God.